Novec™ 1230 Fire Protection Fluid
A Next Generation Halon 1301 replacement, Novec 1230 fluid is an environmentally friendly solution for waterless fire suppression.
- Safe for human occupancy.
- Atmospheric Lifetime of <5 days, making Global Warming Potential (GWP) negligible
- Zero Ozone Depletion Potential (ODP)
- Appears on US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Significant New Alternatives Policy (SNAP) list
- Discharges in 10 seconds or less to extinguish fires rapidly, minimizing damage to high value assets.
- Designed in accordance with NFPA 2001.
- UL listed and FM approved.
- Marine system with USCG and ABS approvals also available.
WHAT IS NOVEC 1230 FLUID?
Novec 1230 fluid is formed from the elements carbon, fluorine, and oxygen [CF3CF2C(O)CF(CF3)2 – dodecafluoro-2-methylpentan-3-one]. The primary extinguishing mechanism of Novec 1230 fluid is heat absorption, with a secondary chemical contribution from the thermal decomposition of Novec 1230 fluid in the flame.
Novec 1230 fluid leaves no residue and is safe for use in occupied spaces. Manufactured by 3M, it is electrically non-conductive and environmentally sustainable
Shield Novec 1230 Clean Agent Fire Suppression Systems are highly efficient when combined with a properly designed plumbing network using the Shield version of the VDS Flow Calculation Software.
1. Cylinders: cylinders are manufactured in accordance with DOT 4BW500 and TC BWM34* standards. *490L cylinder assemblies are only DOT T4BW500 compliant.
2. Valve Assembly: All valves are of the pressure differential design, and will not operate without deliberate actuation. The actuation devices can be removed while under pressure to facilitate functionality testing of the system. It is also equipped with a monitoring Pressure Switch as well as a port to facilitate pneumatic actuation of secondary cylinder assemblies.
3. Cylinder Straps: The cylinder body straps are designed to secure the system assembly during discharge. A single strap is included with all systems up to 103L, while larger systems are equipped with two straps. Systems 490L in size are shipped with two wall mount straps, floor mount straps are available upon request.